Wednesday, February 3, 2010

On our way to Togo!!

It is with great discomfort for which I write this letter: I haven’t written in a long while. I suppose you want to know about Tenerife. Tenerife is a small little island located in the Canaries. It is delightful how much rest can be accomplished, both spiritually and mentally, when no longer in residence of the country you are helping. Tenerife, like all other places in the world, has its problems. What I loved about it was the atmosphere. For one, their culture is much like American culture in comparison to African. It is nice not having to train the mind to not offend someone. I am not saying anything bad about the African culture, in fact I find it fascinating, but my cultural sensitivity is lax in comparison to what it should be.

The second part about Tenerife’s atmosphere to be heralded is the relaxed style people live in. This can sometimes mean loads of partying, but mostly it means people sitting outside drinking wine, coffee, beer, or some other fragrant drink, talking to their friends in utter content. The waiters never wait impatiently for you to leave so more can come in, and midnight is a normal time to be up. I have stayed for hours in one outdoors restaurant or another, talking and getting better acquainted with my friends.

Thirdly, Tenerife, though probably fake and not as wonderful looking, follows the tradition of old European buildings. To just stroll and do nothing, that is pure luxury. There are grand parks, narrow alleyways with cobblestones, and fountains, not to mention the sea which sparkles and winks at you in the right light. Yes I am dearly fond of Tenerife.

That being said, I am incredibly glad we are on our way to Togo. I love exploring, and I fear Tenerife has lost much of its zest from to much time spent therein. Togo should be interesting with its vibrant people, and its markets. Please pray for our nurses and doctors to have wisdom in what they do.
God bless you all,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment