Saturday, February 20, 2010

The beginnings of Togo

Ahhh so here we are at last! I have to admit one thing to you: I have as yet not left the dock. I know I'm terrible. Other than that, I do have things to mention on here.

The first day when we arrived was quite the notable event. A good group of people, instrumentalists, singers, and those with the ship who crossed to Togo via car all stood at the dock to greet us. I felt like we were somehow celebraties. I suppose there is something very special about a ship which comes to bring life and hope to so many people but to me its just my home and we are just doing our jobs. At any case the air was vibrant with excitement (don't you love that word - vibrant).

Since that day a whole host of changes has occured. The first thing that happened was the dock authorities partitianed off a whole section with containers on the dock stricktly for our use. The only problem is the rats and cockroches who live there. Other than that it looks beautiful in comparrison with docks we've had to share with others. I fear I'm beginning to become a spoiled brat of a missionary.

The ship has quite a few faces. Put it this way - the crew count mingled down to two hundred on Christmas. Now it is a full fledged 358 crew ship with more to come. We are going to be packed. Today I embarked fourteen people.

Not only that but we have finished accepting applications for day volunteers (Togolese people who wish to serve their country through working on the Africa Mercy) which means I'm about to see a lot of new African people during the day. Pray for them as they begin their day on Monday and need to get accustomed to the Western way (a very different culture than their own).

Lastly, but hardly least, and most likely the most, we have been going through the screening process. Basically we arrange for when different people will be getting surgeries on board and who we have to turn away (pray for these people who are turned away that they find the help they need) because we don't cater to their needs or there are too many. Normally this happens at one inning but because of security (nothing huge) we are screening a little each day. This is a massive task - heck another thing to pray for.

So, though I have personally not done a ton of things, there have been a lot going on with our little community and a lot of things to pray for.

God bless you all
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment